Friday, July 8, 2011

Universal Ride *Chapter 1*

Chapter 1
Briella
       Amusement parks- there is something about the stale popcorn, sugary cotton candy, overpriced game stands and old rickety rides that make my heart drop down to my stomach. I love the way the children’s screams from rollercoaster rides older than their parents, echo throughout the whole entire park. I love the way the smell of cooking rubbery hot dogs waft through the air and makes its way through my nostrils. I love the way the ground is littered with bits and pieces of memories- abandoned stuffed animals, crumpled up hot dog wax, ice cream cones, pictures taken from Dare To Twist rollercoaster.
            As I walk through the crowded boardwalk of Long Drop Amusement Park, I took notice of everything; the children clutching onto their mothers hands, teenage couples walking and holding hands in a much more intimate way. I passed by the clown’s area- and waved to Kirby.
            “Hey,” I said with a small smirk. Kirby looked up from the child he was talking to, and squeezed his big red nose.
            “Hello Briella,” Kirby said in a fake chirpy voice. I smirked once more, knowing just how much Kirby hated his job. He’s been working here at Long Drop for 10 years now. He welcomed me onto the staff of Long Drop with open arms, guiding me and teaching me the ways of the park. Now I’m just as experienced as him, working at the concession stands (a different one everyday) for about a year every summer. I began walking backwards, wiggling my fingers at Kirby.
            “Catch ya later Kirby,” I called out, before turning around and making my way to the concession stand I was assigned for today (Boo’s Burgers). Reaching the small stand, I weaved my way to the back where Dylan was, already grilling up some burgers. I tied a grease stained apron around my small waist and pulled my hair up in a tight bun- time for another day at work.
            I stood by the cash register, resting my elbow onto the counter and my head onto my palm. I could hear the sizzle of the burger meeting the steaming hot grill. Dylan was whistling a soft tune, while tapping his foot against the floor. It was a slow day today- a boiling hot summer Tuesday (a Tuesday, most likely being spent inside with the air conditioning on by families everywhere). However, there were families bored and stupid enough to come out to Long Drop with their children in the 90 degree weather. A mother with three whining children came up to the stand and ordered three cheese burgers, cokes and small fries.  
            “You got that Dyl?”I called out from behind me, while adding up the prices of the greasy food on the cash register.
            “Mhm,” Dylan said, and I could already hear him working on that order.
            “That’ll be thirty five fifty, ma’am,” I said, as Dylan came up behind me and placed the order on the counter for the women to take. I watched as the mother struggled to pull out her leather wallet from her large Gucci bag. One of her children pulled restlessly at her dress, whining for the food the toddler was unable to reach from the counter. The mother chastised the child, pulled out her wallet and handed me two twenty’s. I handed her change and watched as she took the tray of food and drinks, struggling to keep everything in her arms. Mumbling a quick, “Thanks, have a good day” beneath her breath, she left.
            The next two hours was pretty much the same- mothers buying food for their children, who all seemed to be the same as well (whining and annoying). When it finally came to my break, I sighed with relief. I turned the little ‘Open’ sign swinging from the stand to ‘Closed’, and pulled myself on top of the counter.           
            Dylan poked my shoulder and said, “The usual?” I nodded my head, turning around a bit to watch Dylan cook my lunch. He was a year older than me (17) and had narrow shoulders, high cheekbones, and long, black hair that was always pulled back in a short ponytail. His eyes were almond shaped and the color of melted chocolate, his body nice and defined. Across his cheek he sported a scar, long and jagged. Every time I ask him about it, he shakes his head and changes the subject. He’s been working here at Long Drop as long as me, us starting out as newbie’s together. We became close throughout our one year of working together over the summer. I guess I’d consider him as my best friend- but then again, he was practically my only friend.  Unless you count Matt and Evan- then I guess he isn’t my only friend. Just the closet one I’ve ever had.
As he came back and handed me my cheese and bacon burger with fries and a chocolate milkshake, he sat down next to me on the counter.
            I grabbed the tray from him and steadied it onto my thighs. Grabbing the burger, I took a huge bite, chewing cautiously. Dylan laughed at me, wiping away the ketchup dribbling from the corner of my mouth and licking it off his own finger. He stole a couple of French fries from me, popping it in his mouth and showing me the aftermath of him chewing on them for a good minute. I crinkled my nose, laughed, and threw a couple of fries at him.
            “Nasty Dyl,” I said, taking yet another bite from my burger.
             A peaceful silence settled between us. We allowed our ears to open up a bit- listening to the soft hum of the radio behind us playing country music, listening to the shrieks and screams all around us, the whines and cries from stubborn children.  I looked back at Dylan, and slowly raised my hand to his cheek. My fingers grazed the rough surface of Dylan’s scar, tracing it over and over again. He flinched almost immediately, grabbing hand tightly and slowly placing it back in my lap.
            “Don’t do that Brie,” he said gently. This time I didn’t have the guts to look up at him. Instead I looked down at my half eaten meal, my stomach turning at the thought of finishing it.
            “Have the rest,” I said, passing up the tray to him. He reluctantly took it, taking an enormous bite from the burger himself. I bit my lip and looked straight ahead at all of the old, decaying rides.
            All of the sudden my view of the park was blocked by two teenage boys- Matt and Evan.
            I couldn’t help but let out a bark of laughter as I took in the two boys, completely drenched in water. I nudged Dylan, who looked up and took in the boys himself. He chuckled, slapping the counter with one hand.
            “I’m guessing you guys had your turn at the Super Soaker?” I asked with a small giggle. Matt pulled a face and Evan sighed heavily, both boys helping themselves to the tray of food now resting on Dylan’s kneecap.
            “It sounded fun at first, but who knew three year olds could throw that well?” Matt said through a mouthful of French fries, ruffling his wet hair. Evan nodded in agreement, grabbing some fries himself.
            “I swear kids are growing stronger by the day. Either that or they have really good steroid dealers,” Evan added in, shifting his weight from one foot to another. We all laughed and I took in the boys once more. Matt was tall and lanky, with a bad case of freckles and a mop of strawberry blonde hair. His nose is crooked, as if someone had just threw a punch at him.  He wore the same orange converse sneakers every day, no matter what and the same unicorn band bracelet choked his skinny arm. He was the brain of the group, heading off to college and bigger and better things then Long Drop. As for Evan, he was the complete opposite. Short and overweight, Evan has a very low self conscious. He has short cropped brown hair and these gorgeous green eyes you can get lost in. It’s his great sense of humor that makes up for his obnoxious ways and stupidity.  Both boys are Dylan’s age and both boys were his best friend’s way before Long Drop. I loved these boys as if they were my own brothers, which they have sort of grown to become throughout our year of working together.
            “Layla stopped by today, Dyl,” Matt mentioned, sitting down on the counter beside me. I raised my eyebrows at the mention of Layla, Dylan’s recent ex-girlfriend. Dylan shrugged his shoulders, throwing the scraps of food left into the garbage pail behind the counter.
            “What did she want?” he asked curiously, wiping his hands together and licking his bottom lip. Matt put his finger to his lip and thought for a few seconds.
            “She said she wanted to ‘talk’ to you,” he recalled back, rolling his eyes. “Women,” he scoffed.
            I punched Matt in the arm playfully. “Not all girls are crazy obsessive like that,” I reminded him. Matt raised his eyebrows and looked back and forth between Evan and Dylan, as if to say “Yeah right.” I shook my head and jumped down from the counter.
            “Where are you going?” Evan asked, jumping in my spot and taking the opportunity to sit down.
            “Around…” I responded, not really knowing the answer myself. I had about fifteen minutes before my break was over, so I slowly began to walk away. “I’ll be back,” I added, but the boys were already turned to one another, speaking of how mentally insane girls are. I laughed, shaking my head and walked through Long Drop some more.
             I passed Dare To Twist rollercoaster, the newest addition to Long Drop (meaning it’s about five years old). Children were lined up, hoping they were tall enough to ride the feisty rollercoaster. Allie (a twenty three old high school dropout) was working on the ride today. Her blonde hair was pulled up into a loose ponytail and her bright blue eyes were droopy, with puffy bags beneath them. Kirby tells me Allie grew up too fast- getting pregnant at eighteen and having to give her life up for the baby. Her mother died just a year later, leaving her alone with her alcoholic father. I liked Allie- she was nice, had a great sense of humor and acted like that cool older sister every girl wish they had. Sometimes though, I’d catch her in the middle of a conversation, slowly looking straight ahead at nothing in particular. I would watch her, wondering what on earth could be running through her mind. But just as quick as she left reality, she snapped right back into it.
            She looked up and our eyes met. Something passed over her face, something unreadable. But it passed quickly and soon she was waving slightly and giving me a tired smile. I saluted her and began walking some more. I passed Looking Up At The Stars, a spaceship ride I never really got the full 411 about. Little boys held their mothers hands as they jumped up and down in anticipation for the ride to begin. They had glow and the dark star pins and silver antenna’s attached onto their tufts of hair.
            A girl, who I never really talked to before, so therefore I don’t know the name of, was standing by the waiting line. She was allowing the little boys inside the ride, telling the mothers to wait here for them. I stood there for a moment, looking at her. How is it that I’ve been working here for a year, yet I don’t recognize her? I bit my lip, casted one more glance, before walking away. Maybe she was new, I told myself. Maybe every time I passed by Looking Up At The Stars, it wasn’t her shift.
            For some reason, this was irking me; crawling beneath my skin. I shuddered and began walking back to Boo’s Burgers. My break was practically over and soon I’ll have to resume my apron and hear the orders of tired mothers.
            Yep- it’s just another day at the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment